How do I receive my PDF timesheet?
Timesheets are emailed to you in Smart PDF format (which can be edited) every Tuesday after 6pm.
By default, this system will use your Monash staff email account: firstname.lastname@example.org
To access this account:
- Go to the Monash Website and click on the 'my.monash' link.
- Enter your staff Authcate (username) and password and click ‘login’
- On the my.monash portal home page click on the Email tab
- Your Monash email account should now display your Inbox
If you are having problems accessing your staff email account, please call IT Services on 990 51777 to obtain a staff Authcate (username) and password. You will be required to provide IT Services with your Staff ID number.
If you have not been issued with a Monash staff email account, the system will use the personal email you provided to Monash during the appointment process. To update this email address contact HR Enquiries on 990 20400.
If you have a Monash staff email account but wish to forward timesheets to your personal email account, please follow the Mail Re-direct Instructions.
How do I complete my PDF timesheet?
- A timesheet will be emailed to you every Tuesday after 6pm
- Save your timesheet to a file on your computer
- Open the timesheet and select the correct Unit/Location Code and Activity Code (refer to the Guide to Using Activity Types)
- Enter the hours worked from the previous Wednesday, up to and including that Tuesday
- Compose an email to email@example.com and attach the completed timesheet
- Your timesheet will be approved online by your Supervisor and Approver
- The timesheet data will then be transferred electronically into the pay system
Additional Resources to assist you with completing your timesheet include:
A full description and list of Activity Types can be found in the Guide to Activity Types. However, if you are unsure of the Unit Code or Activity Type to use when completing your timesheet please contact your Department Timesheet Administrator.
How do I complete my ESS timesheet?
- Log in to ESS
- Ensure the Employee Services tab is displayed
- Click on the Timesheet Entry link
- Click on the Add Row button
- Select the correct Location/Unit Code and Activity Type and enter the time worked
- Sessional Academics enter the number of hours worked for each activity
- Casual professionals and Research Assistants enter a start and end time
- Hit Validate Entries button and your total hours will be calculated
- When you have completed your timesheet click on the Submit Timesheet button
How do I approve a timesheet?
- Log in to ESS
- Ensure the Administation Services tab is displayed
- Click on the Timesheet Approval link
- Review all time entries in the Approval queue and click either:
- Reject; or
- If Approver selects Reject, they must select a Rejection Reason from the drop-down menu. This will result in an email being sent to the employee advising of the rejected entries.
- Approver can select Park if they need to follow up further before either Approving or Rejecting an entry.
- Perform bulk actions by using the SHIFT or CONTROL key
- Important: Click SAVE to ensure all changes are registered.
What are the submission deadlines?
Submission deadlines vary depending on whether the timesheet mode is PDF, ESS (Wed to Tues) or ESS (Sat to Fri). Deadlines may also vary between departments depending on local business needs.
The standard weekly timesheet cycles are as follows:
| ||PDF||ESS |
(Wed to Tues)
(Sat to Fri)
|Weekly timesheet cycle
||Wed to Tues
(week in arrears)
|Wed to Tues
(week in arrears)
|Sat to Fri
||After 6pm Tuesday
||From 1am Wed
||From 1am Saturday
|Time entered by
|Supervisor approves times by
||12 noon Monday
|Approver approves times by
* ESS (Sat to Fri) mode operates on the current week so times can be entered on a daily basis. However, times for the full week must be entered by the start of business Monday to ensure they are approved in time for the next pay run.
Provided all approvals are completed by Monday 4pm, your timesheet will be paid on the next pay day.
What activity type should I use?
How do I access ESS from off campus?
How do I re-direct timesheets to a personal email address?
How do I open timesheets on MAC OS using Adobe Reader?