Kenneth Henderson HUNT (1920-2002)
Dean, Faculty of Engineering (1961-1975)
Professor Hunt graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (1941) and a Master of Arts (1945) in Engineering Science from Oxford University, and a Master of Mechanical Engineering (1956) from the University of Melbourne.
Professor Hunt was an experimental engineer with W.H. Dorman and Co. Ltd, 1941-42; process design engineer at Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, 1946-48; lecturer and senior lecturer in mechanical engineering at the University of Melbourne, 1949-1960.
During World War II, Professor Hunt was commissioned as a major in the Royal Engineers and served in the United Kingdom, Sicily, north Africa and Italy. He was mentioned in dispatches for service in the 8th Army. In the final stages of the war and during 1946, Professor Hunt was an instructor at Army College in the Citizen Military Forces.
Professor Hunt was appointed founding dean of the Faculty of Engineering in 1961. After retiring as dean in 1975, he remained at Monash as Professor of Mechanism until 1985.
Minute of appreciation from Professorial Board Meeting 1/86 (pdf 860kb)
- Vice-president of the Musica Viva Society;
- Patron of the Musical Society of Victoria and the Lieder Society of Victoria;
- Victoria Institute of Colleges (1966);
- Council member of the Victorian College of the Arts (1973-80);
- Member of the Health Commission of Victoria (1978-83);
- Member of the Victorian State Committee of CSIRO (1979-83);
- Visiting Research Consultant at Center of Intelligent Machines and Robotics, University of Florida (1980, 1982, 1984, 1988);
- Distinguished Visiting Professor at Ohio State University (1984);
- Honorary Visiting Professor at the University of Melbourne;
- Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME (1990);
- Fellow of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK;
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers, Australia;
- Fellow of Australian Academy of Technological Sciences.
- Proctor and Gamble Prize (1972);
- Melville Medal of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1977);
- Kernot Memorial Medal of the University of Melbourne (1979);
- A.G.M Michell Medal of the Institution of Engineers, Australia (1979);
- Peter Nicol Russell Memorial Medal of the Institution of Engineers, Australia (1983);
- Mechanisms Committee Award of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1986);
- Emeritus Professor (1986)
Sources of information
Who's Who in Australia 1997; personnel files
Professor Hunt dressed for performance of 'The Stone Wall,' 1974