Unpaid Internship Appointment and Conditions Procedures
Monash University offers unpaid Internships to undergraduate or postgraduate students who are required to undertake a work experience placement as part of the curriculum of their course. The Internship is offered as a work experience placement only and the Intern will receive no payment for performing any work during the Internship and will not for any purpose become a staff member of Monash University as a result of undertaking the Internship.
The Internship is to be for no more than the maximum period as required by the curriculum of the course and during the unpaid placement students will be given practical experience, relevant to their course of study, in a work environment to gain practical knowledge in a range of professional duties and will be supervised by professional staff.
Home university: the university at which the student is currently studying
Intern: the student undertaking the unpaid voluntary work experience placement
Internship: placement at Monash University for a nominated period for a student to gain work experience
When considering offering an Internship placement the following basic principles apply:
- The objectives of the program include encouraging undergraduate or postgraduate students to experience a range of contemporary issues in their area of study through practical work experience activities.
- Students undertaking an Internship are expected to gain valuable work experience in their chosen field of study under the guidance of the supervisor.
- Internships should only be made available in departments where students are likely to have significant opportunities to practice professional workplace skills and to gain an increased understanding of work principles and practices.
2. Expected Student Outcomes
The Internship should provide the opportunity for students to:
- gain insights into the general organisation and operation of a typical work environment in their field of study;
- apply theory to practice in a practical and disciplined manner;
- develop capacity to initiate their own professional activities, including the ability to seek and use feedback and supervision effectively;
- develop an understanding of professional work goals and practice;
3. Conditions of Internship
- All Internship placements are unpaid voluntary work experiences only.
- Interns must enter into a Deed (MS Word) prior to the placement for work experience as an Intern.
- The Intern is not an employee and is not covered by the Accident Compensation Act 1985 (Vic) and is not entitled to claim under Monash University's workers' compensation insurance.
- The Interns are to confirm with their home university that appropriate personal accident insurance and public liability insurance are held, covering bodily injury or property damage, whilst participating in the Internship.
- Interns are responsible for arranging their own travel and accommodation throughout the duration of the placement.
- The normal work requirements of the department and its staff take precedence over the work experience needs of Interns.
- Granting a student an Internship placement should not cause serious disruption to the host department.
- Interns are to be provided with an introduction to the work area and staff and be inducted in the relevant safety training procedures as necessary.
4. Applications and Approvals
- Students should submit a covering letter and resume outlining their areas of interest, work experiences and accomplishments together with a statement of the experience they hope to gain from the placement, with details of the course requirements leading to the Internship as well as details of subjects already completed.
- Students are to provide a copy of their home university’s public liability and personal accident insurance indemnity.
- Heads of Departments or Administrative Units are responsible for obtaining the Dean or Divisional Director’s prior approval to host the student and select the area that best suits the students learning needs.
- Deed of Internship to be signed by all parties
- Prior to the commencement of the Internship all required documentation is to be signed by all relevant parties and lodged with Monash University.
- The supervisor is to complete any assessment report provided by the Intern for return to the home university.
Dean or Divisional Director: Approve the engagement of an undergraduate or postgraduate student as an Unpaid Voluntary Work Experience Intern and authorise the Deed of Internship.
Heads of Departments or Administrative Units: responsible for the overall direction, supervision and conduct of the Internship Program for their department or Unit, including nominating an appropriate supervisor to manage the day to day activities of the Intern.
Supervisors: responsible for the day to day management of the activities and supervision of the Interns, including relevant safety training or procedures.